Chief Agronomist Officer - Vertical FarmingApply online
|Company Address||550 Pleasant View Drive|
Our client is an innovative start-up who is assuming first mover advantage in Canada’s nascent vertical farming sector at a time of increasing customer demands regarding their food and an inability of local producers to consistently meet these demands year-round for the national supply chain & retailers. They are developing a national network of truly local production facilities close to retail stores. Their facilities will generate more agile year-round production, greater yields, superior quality and a reduced carbon footprint vs. traditional farms, in order to meet consumer demand for locally grown food & community engagement. To assist with their efforts, we are currently recruiting for a Chief Agronomist Officer (CAO) for their head office near Barrie, ON, who will focus on developing and promoting best-in-class vertical farming practices.
Why Work with our Client:
They are committed to and passionate about: Growth; Career Development; Innovation; Constant Learning; Community; and Social Responsibility. Play a senior role at an early stage in the food industry’s largest growth sector.
The ideal CAO is a knowledgeable, thorough and experienced Agronomist who is committed to continuous improvement and innovation to advance the vertical farming industry and solve national produce supply chain challenges. In this unique and innovative role, you will lead the way for the company by conducting research and production facility inspections, take samples and make observations, perform tests, and identify and solve problems related to plant nutrition, crop management and pest management. You will be responsible for training and managing teams of horticultural managers and producers; ensuring high quality standards are achieved. To be successful in this role, you should be self-motivated, detail-oriented, and analytical, with excellent listening, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- A competitive salary is negotiable based on the successful candidate’s capacity and experience.
- Lead the agronomic development within the company.
- Lead the internal R&D agronomy projects.
- Research, develop and promote indoor farming practices or products to continuously improve crop yield and solve problems facing the agriculture industry.
- Visit site operations to oversee facility production processes, identify opportunities for improvement and oversee testing of samples for mutational deficiencies, diseases, or other changes.
- Assist with the plant selection process, budgets, timelines and distribution needs.
- Keep detailed records regarding location production, customers, crops and samples.
- Generate reports and present findings to management, clients or other interested parties.
- Promote products and techniques through educational presentations.
- Manage teams of producers and horticultural managers while conducting field visits or laboratory work.
- Training and onsite oversight of multiple locations.
- Work with academia on Research and development projects, and around predictive analytics and data for optimal production.
Key Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agronomy
- CPAg, P.Ag, or CCA required
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience in Crop Management and Horticulture, with some experience in Integrated Pest Management
- Experience with indoor growing environments
- Experience managing decentralized teams
- Experience with data analytics and research
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to travel
- Ability to stand, walk, kneel and stoop for extended periods
- Proficiency with computers, especially MS Office and diagnostic scientific software
- Exceptional active listening and verbal and written communication skills
- Strong research, decision making, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated familiarity of industry trends, technology, and development