Chief Agronomist Officer - Indoor Farming - Filled
|Company Address||550 Pleasant View Drive|
We are conducting a confidential search for our client in the indoor farming sector. To assist with our clients’ efforts in developing a network of sustainable production facilities, we are currently recruiting for a Chief Agronomist Officer , who will focus on developing and promoting best-in-class indoor farming practices, and be responsible for product improvement and production of high quality leaf vegetables. The successful candidate will work from their home office, and be required to travel regularly to sites in Ontario.
The ideal candidate is a knowledgeable, thorough and experienced grower of lettuce and other edible leafy greens, using hydroponic methods, who is committed to continuous improvement and innovation to advance the indoor farming industry and solve produce supply chain challenges.
In this unique and innovative role, you will lead the way for the company by conducting research and production facility inspections, take samples and make observations, perform tests, and identify and solve problems related to plant nutrition, crop management and pest management, to continuously improve the company’s product quality and production efficiency. You will be responsible for training and managing teams of horticultural managers and producers; ensuring high quality standards are achieved. To be successful in this role, you should be self-motivated, detail-oriented, and analytical, with excellent listening, communication, and problem-solving skills, and a strong focus on producing high quality products.
- A competitive salary is negotiable based on the successful candidate’s capacity and experience.
- Lead the agronomic development within the company.
- Lead the internal R&D agronomy projects.
- Research, develop and promote indoor farming practices or products to continuously improve crop yield and solve problems facing the agriculture industry.
- Visit site operations to oversee facility production processes, identify opportunities for improvement and oversee testing of samples for mutational deficiencies, diseases, or other changes.
- Assist with the plant selection process, budgets, timelines and distribution needs.
- Keep detailed records regarding location production, customers, crops and samples.
- Generate reports and present findings to management, clients or other interested parties.
- Promote products and techniques through educational presentations.
- Manage teams of producers and horticultural managers while conducting field visits or laboratory work.
- Training and onsite oversight of multiple locations.
- Work with academia on research and development projects, and around predictive analytics and data for optimal production.
- Travel to sites on a regular basis – 3 days per week travel required initially.
Key Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Agronomy
- CPAg, P.Ag, or CCA is an asset
- Minimum of 5 years hands-on commercial lettuce and leafy greens growing experience, plus hydroponic grow environment experience is required.
- Experience in Crop Management, Nutrient Management, and Integrated Pest Management
- Experience managing decentralized teams is an asset
- Experience with data analytics and research
- Experience with presenting findings and recommending improvements to clients and management.
- Keen business acumen with experience meeting and exceeding quality and prodcution goals in a commercial environment.
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to travel 3 days per week
- Ability to stand, walk, kneel and stoop for extended periods
- Proficiency with computers, especially MS Office and diagnostic scientific software
- Exceptional active listening and verbal and written communication skills
- Strong research, decision making, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated familiarity of industry trends, technology, and development