Farm Operations ManagerApply online
|Company Address||550 Pleasant View Drive|
|Location||Cranbrook, British Columbia|
Our client is a well-established, innovative, family-owned and operated agricultural business with a multi-national presence. They are located in south-eastern British Columbia. We are conducting a confidential search for a motivated, experienced, and energetic Farm Operations Manager to oversee their orchard and cattle operations.
This could be great opportunity for you if you have excellent knowledge of apple and/or cherry orchard farming, hands-on managerial experience, are quality focused, and are a strong relationship builder and communicator. If this sounds like you, please apply below!
Please note* our client wishes all applicants to apply directly to AgriRecruiting for consideration.
Reporting to the president, the successful candidate will take complete control of day-to-day farming operations, primarily focused on high quality fruit orchards, with additional responsibility for a small-scale beef cattle operation. In cooperation with senior management, the Farm Operations Manager will be responsible for developing the annual budget, making plans for existing operations and future development of the business, and seeking out innovative techniques striving for continuous quality and efficiency improvements.
A competitive compensation package is negotiable based on the successful candidate’s capacity and experience, and will include a base salary, housing, a vehicle, and a health benefits plan.
- Planning, implementation, management and control of all farm-related activities.
- Work with the Group Financial Controller to implement an annual budget, process and deliver forecast vs budget reports on a monthly basis.
- Actively participate in strategic discussions with owners and senior management team to drive further expansion and increased profitability on the farms.
- Forge strong relationships internally and with all external stakeholders including BC Worksafe, On-Farm Food Safety, and other auditors and officials as required.
- Identify and work with Group Financial Controller to apply for subsidies, grants and other funding opportunities.
- Seek out and implement innovative growing and processing methods, which can include national or international travel for research purposes.
What You Will Need:
- A degree in Agronomy, Agrology, or Horticulture is preferred but on-farm experience is most important.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a management or supervisory role within a apple and/or cherry farming business.
- Quality focused, with a proven track record of consistently producing fruit of the highest possible standard.
- Experience with high-density plantings, trellis systems, plus orchard covering systems preferred but not essential.
- Capable of managing multiple orchards and varieties.
- Mechanically inclined to supervise modern orchard system infrastructure projects.
- Ability to think strategically but have a hands-on pragmatic approach to implementation.
- Comfortable working within a team and confident working independently in all situations.
- Strong communication and leadership skills, including the ability to deliver clear instructions and manage the farm workforce despite possible language barriers. Working knowledge of Spanish would be a distinct advantage, but not essential.
- Results driven, self-motivated and able to motivate others to make things happen.
- Effective problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong project management skills, able to design and implement a clear road map for new orchard plantings from concept to full production.
- Inquisitive, with a strong desire to research and find new ways to improve results on the farm, with an open mind and ability to think ‘outside of the box’.
- Willing to work long hours through the peak season, in a fast paced, high pressure work environment.
- Experience in implementing and maintaining Global G.A.P certification on fruit farms is essential.
- Computer literate, practical knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, and able to work independently in all aspects of farm office work.
- Able to present regular reports and updates to the company directors, with sound financial data included.
- Willing to travel overseas and build a personal network of like-minded growers in order to expand working knowledge of the latest innovations in tree fruit production.
- First-Aid certified, or willing to take training to gain certification.
- Experience in crop protection management and spray program planning. Able to complete the relevant Canada pesticide application training (3-day course).
- Knowledge of agri-related subsidies, grants, funding etc. Can be learned on the job.
- Knowledge of Canada’s temporary foreign worker scheme, WALI, etc. Can be learned on the job.
- Some knowledge of cattle farm management would be useful, but not essential. The farm maintains a small herd of beef cattle, but the primary focus for the farm manager is the fruit orchards.