Farm Supervisor - Filled
|Location||King city, Ontario|
Our client is a Medium sheep-based hobby Farm, located near Toronto, Ontario. They have sheep, goats, chickens, donkeys, and dogs. They are now in a steady operation and in search of an experienced and dedicated Farm Supervisor to live on the farm and take care of the animals. This is a perfect opportunity for individuals who have sheep farming experience and want to live a rural life with animals on a beautiful farm.
What you will do:
As the farm has different management styles from summer to winter, it will involve different duties as listed:
1. From November to April:
· All duties as a sheep farmer taking care of 200 sheep include feeding, bedding, giving medication orally or via injection, deworming and vaccination, monitoring the flock for any signs of illness or disease.
- Assist difficult birth during lambing season (once a year in Wintertime), add nutrition to ewes and give vaccination to newborn lambs.
- Contact the vet and shearing technician as needed.
2. From May to October:
- Herding sheep in summer on pastures for rotate grazing.
- Operation of various farm machinery.
- Build up the feeders, fencing, and shelters.
3. Duties in a year around:
- Handling routine maintenance around the work area and living property.
- Take care of other animals such as 40-50 goats, a few chickens, and dogs.
- Supervising the other one or two full-time staff as needed.
- Mow grass and snow removal as needed.
What you will need:
- A minimum of three to five years of farming experience ideally with sheep
- Experience in sheep nutrition, health maintenance including sheep disease and hoof trimming, shearing.
- Ability to self-manage and solve problems as they arise.
- The mechanical ability for small repairs.
- Post-secondary education in a related field is considered a strong asset
- As is the case relocate on the farm, the person may have to work long hours, including nights, evenings, and weekends. The work is largely conducted outdoors, so extreme temperatures and varying weather conditions are possible.
Compensation, Bonus, and Vacation:
- $48K - $54K annually depending on experience
- Provided house, utilities included.
- The bonus of $2000 to $5000 according to meeting production goals