Forage and Livestock ManagerApply online
Western Ranchlands owns and operates Tomahawk Ranch and is looking for a Forage & Livestock Manager to work as a key part of the management team. The successful candidate will report to the General Manager and have primary responsibility for forage harvesting (silage and grazing) and livestock management, infrastructure and equipment maintenance as well as operational staff oversight. Strong management skills and the capability to implement efficient and innovative strategies in a large, forage-based background-yearling and cow-calf operation are essential.
The 15,000-acre ranch is located in Parkland County, Alberta. Forage is harvested as silage or grazed. Annually the ranch will receive, graze and feed 4,000 to 5,000 calves and 750 to 1,000 cow-calf pairs. Tomahawk Ranch also works with multiple environmental partners on environmental and ecologically-based initiatives.
- Strong knowledge of forage harvesting, planned grazing, silage management and cattle feeding protocols
- Relevant experience in all aspects of cattle management including processing, calving, low stress handling, health management including diagnosing and treating health issues
- Capability in staff management
- Good computer literacy (Microsoft Office Suite) and skill utilizing data management tools (eg. specific experience with Herdtrax, MaiaGrazing, and GoogleEarth would be an asset)
- Working knowledge of machinery and maintenance, electric fencing, farm and shop tools
- Excellent English communication, organization, decision-making and time management skills
- Team player with high degree of personal integrity, able to work well with owners, management and staff
The salary and benefits package will be commensurate with the experience and education of the successful candidate. On-ranch housing will be provided. Candidates must be comfortable living in a rural area and small community setting.