Head GrowerApply online
Reporting into the General Manager, the successful candidate will bring a broad expertise gained in multi-faceted Grower roles. The Head Grower’s primary role is to design, implement and execute profitable crop production at our organic farm located in Central Saanich, B.C. The ideal candidate will work collaboratively towards building productions plans, overseeing day to day operations in both the greenhouse and field, and providing support to the sales team.
Victoria (Central Saanich), British Columbia
- In coordination with management develops short and long-term business plans pertaining to product types and yield.
- Conducts land inventories, establishes product standards and develops growing programs to ensure desired results.
- Translates all sales product plans and objectives into weekly and monthly growing programs.
- Regularly reviews operating and production costs and modifies plans to meet cost projections in order to maximize Return on Investment (ROI).
- Adjusts programs to maximize productivity given impact of changing resources and weather.
- Improves bulb, flower and other crop efficiency through constant review and implementation of industry best practices and agronomics in disease monitoring and production in the field and greenhouses.
- Reviews labour requirements and manages day to day workforce planning and scheduling for the greenhouse, warehouse and fields.
- Conducts soil analysis and applies corrective action to support growing cycles and products.
- Determines seed and bulb varieties based on annual sales plans.
- Establishes and implements field/greenhouse crop maps as well as planting and haul-in schedules.
- Manages the greenhouse facilities to ensure optimal growing and storing environments for the Farm and external land leasing clients.
- Develops inventory checklists and ensures proper levels through efficient stock purchasing procedures.
- Maintains current and makes recommendations for change in bulb varieties.
- Ensures appropriate equipment is maintained and in good operating condition throughout the growing seasons.
- Stays current on new equipment trends and makes recommendations for change as appropriate.
- Provides training for staff in all matters related to crop production with an emphasis on the teaching of new, tested industry ideas and personal expertise and experiences.
- Fosters a positive and healthy work environment through continuous mentoring of Safety Programs and improved working relationships with all employees.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- A diploma or degree in Horticulture with a minimum 5+ years in a senior grower position.
- Occupational First Aid Certification.
- Class 5 driver’s license with a clean abstract.
- Forklift experience.
- Advanced skills in crop care – irrigation best practices, greenhouse stock fertility and monitoring, techniques and timing, and other general care techniques reasonable to a position of this nature.
- Experience with Organic Farming and Food Safety Certifications
- Competency using spray and drench equipment such as hydraulic sprayers is required.
- Organic Pesticide Applicator’s license required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in Spanish is considered an asset.
- MS office skills; including, Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Excellent management skills; with the ability to organize and direct large teams, exercise good judgement in a fast paced environment, and inspire and lead people.
- Able to clearly communicate instruction, monitor, follow up, and correct as required.
- Able to walk, stand, kneel, lift 50 lbs, and perform other physical duties for long periods for long hours in inclement weather conditions.
- Attention to detail with an ability to meet time sensitive deadlines effectively.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously and problem solve effectively.
- Ability to work with multiple individuals at varying levels in the organization and with varying levels of experience.
- Willingness to work extended hours and weekends as seasonally required by the farm.
Please apply here: