Senior Policy Adviser - Pork IndustryApply online
|Company Name||Ontario Pork|
Ontario Pork, in Guelph, is looking for a full time Senior Policy Advisor to join their team on a fulltime, permanent basis. The successful candidate must have experience working in the agriculture sector or understand the needs and demands of those employed in this sector. Experience in the pork industry would be considered an asset.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Senior Policy Advisor will assist with the vision, creativity and innovation for the client in a manner that provides strategic policy planning and implementation advice to senior management consistent with the organization’s strategy, goals, vision and mission, of working in a way that is team-focused and results-oriented, so that the customers’ needs can be met within a changing marketplace.
Some of the major duties and responsibilities include:
- Providing analysis and interpretation of policy options.
- Provide policy and program support for implementing and educating producers, associations and industry partners about the value in participating in national programs.
- Overseeing or participating in the development of policy positions.
- Support, coordinate, and project manage in certain areas such as, new policy frameworks/regulations, and information sharing agreements..
- Collaborates with team in collecting and assembling a variety of information from within and outside the organization, and makes recommendations regarding changes in operating policies and procedures .
- Maintains a working knowledge of federal, provincial and municipal regulations affecting the swine industry. Uses this knowledge to provide advice to Senior Management.
- Attend government consultation meetings for program and policy development.
- Attend industry meetings for program and policy development and cooperation on programs with other commodity groups.
- Staff representative on industry committees.
- Analyze factors which determine economic growth and advise government agencies on policies to increase economic activities.
- Create working relationship with all external stakeholders including Swine Producers, Processors, Government Agencies, Industry Stakeholders and Industry Associations.
- Coordinates activities with advisory committee chairs.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-secondary education.
- Proficient in electronic communication systems.
- Solid understanding of related environmental, production and industry issues.
- Experience in the field of agriculture would be ideal
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal
- Excellent computer skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Able to deal with conflict management.
- Drive and desire to succeed.
- Team player, self-motivated.
- Technical Skills
- Proficient in word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Strong research skills.
- A valid driver’s license and a minimum of $1,000,000 liability vehicle coverage.
- Core Competencies
- Analytical, organized, strong verbal and written communication skills, diplomatic, strong drive, results oriented, time management skills and flexible.