Recipe & Product DeveloperApply online
|Company Name||Hensall Co-operative|
|Company Address||1 Davidson Drive|
POSITION: Recipe & Product Developer LOCATION: Exeter
Hensall Co-op is seeking a dynamic individual to become an integral member of our team at the Exeter location. Our Ready Meal Team at Hensall Co-op is looking for an energetic, creative, experienced and food loving Product Developer who excels at taking new product ideas and specifications and cooking them into reality. This is a full-time, contract with potential for permanent position.
What Hensall Co-op has to offer:
- Group Benefits plan (dental, prescriptions, vision, massage, chiropractic, physiotherapy etc.)
- Pension Plan matched by Hensall Co-op.
- Length-of-Service Awards
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Bench-top prototyping/recipe development and commercialize meal ideas from theoretical to test kitchen to full production.
- Demonstrates effective technical leadership skills with particular emphasis on food science, food chemistry, ingredient functionality, sensory techniques, scale-up, ingredient processing interactions, analytical and test procedures, formulations, and prototype development
- Knowledge and ability to leverage local, national, and global food trends to innovate and develop new concepts for internal & external customer presentations. Stay current with applicable new technologies/ingredients
- Develop production master specs for sauce recipes, oversee sauce cooking operation at Ready meal line
- Leverage supplier networks to source new and improved ingredients
- Create, re-formulate, test, and optimize ready meal options that are aligned with production planning, customer needs, nutritional/regulatory parameters, productivity and/or cost guidelines.
- Prepare lab samples for customer submissions or tests along with required documentation
- Record formula and methodology based on lab and plant trials, conduct sensory evaluations, and prepare product specifications
- Conduct and/or arrange 3rd party lab shelf-life evaluations
- Collect and analyze product data and optimize formulas in production.
- Advise about new or alternative manufacturing methods and support the Production team in the acquisition/testing of new pieces of equipment, equipment vendors and the design of process flow of manufacturing to ensure product quality and consistency and enable efficiencies
- Employs effective interpersonal time and resource management skills to complete projects assignments.
- Leads multiple projects simultaneously.
- Provides technical leadership within cross functional teams to deliver initiatives and departmental projects.
- Conduct daily/weekly recipe tasting panels
- Food Product Development: 3- 5 years - new product and processes development from concept through scale-up and commercialization.
- Demonstrate application of food chemistry principles, formulation, ingredient/process interactions, statistical/analytical techniques, shelf-life testing, recipe costing, documentation and scale-up.
- Ability to search, read and leverage information from patent/technical documents.
- Strong creative and intuitive abilities with the experience to make technical decisions and support others on technical issues.
- Experience with food production for speciality meals, including vegetarian, gluten-free, nut-free, halal, Organic, Kosher and others.
- As the Product Developer will lead sensory evaluations, a good palate will be an asset along with a willingness to taste flavours and products.
- Knowledge of the Safe Food for Canadians Act & Passion for Food Safety.
- Must have strong leadership skills.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills, written and oral, with ability to utilize time and resources effectively to meet multiple projects deadlines.
- Computer skills - Microsoft Office (especially Excel), Google Suite, nutrition analysis software such as Genesis R&D®, Nutrasoft, Food Processor® & FMP (Filemaker Pro) or similar associative database program typically called ERP
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science/Culinary, or a relevant field
If you are interested in applying, please submit your cover letter and resume to: Human Resources Department Attention: Nicole Hawley
Hensall Co-op is committed to employment equity and encourages members of the four designated groups to apply. Accommodation will be made upon request.