Seed Production ManagerApply online
|Company Name||Alliance Agri-Turf Inc.|
|Company Address||8112 King Street West, Bolton Ontario|
Seed Production Manager
Position Objective and Scope
In alignment with the Alliance Agri-Turf (AAT) Purpose, Values, Goals, and strategy, the Seed Production Manager will lead and manage all aspects of seed production from seed growing, processing, and shipping, - to support maximum customer value creation, increased grower ROI from the seed products we sell, and AAT sales growth, while maintaining conscientious cost control of inventory, people, plant and equipment. The key measures for this job will be limiting lost sales as a result of insufficient seed production against sales forecast/plan, and the control of annual inventory carryover and discard as a result of too much seed grown.
- 3 to 5 years of seed production experience
- Self-starter, and excellent organizational skills
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Time management skills
- Computer literate, Excel, Word, Outlook, and Power Point
- Prior management and or supervisory experience
- Budgeting and forecasting experience
- Post-secondary education in Agriculture
- Understanding of crop ag production
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops and implements three year seed production plan by building pedigree seed production forecast to supply sufficient seed for the sales forecast/plan, and to manage product life cycles to reduce discard, and maximize sales.
- Responsible to implement seed production plan.
- Writes seed production contracts
- Screens and selects best seed growers, and facilitates base seed grower contract price
- Oversees and manages seed crop inspections
- Executes seed declarations for CSGA on every seed lot, and secures supporting data, germ test etc.
- Manages germ testing process
- Manages seed plant production from receiving grower seed production, to scheduling plant runs, to excellent customer service shipping, to maximize efficiency of the seed plant.
- Negotiates and buys seed production from other seed companies/producers, when needed, to meet AAT sales demand.
- Collaborates with Sales to help them develop a 3 year sales forecast and plan.
- Develops and implements an inventory reporting process such that real time inventory reports are available to the sales team to support sales growth, i.e. what’s in the ground being produced, what’s in the bin, and what’s in the warehouse.
- Collaborates with sales to develop and implement a seed sales tracking process to account for varietal royalty payments on commercial seed sales, and arranges for royalty payment.
- Collaborates with Seed Business Lead to develop zero based seed plant budgets for standard variable costs, fixed costs, and capital equipment costs, so that accurate:
- Cost of Goods Sold by variety can be calculated to enable sales to plan by margin.
- Fixed costs can be budgeted and controlled.
- Annual capital equipment plans can be built and implemented to support and sustain growth.
- Synchronizes seed plant production with sales, to maximize plant efficiency, seed sales, and customer satisfaction.
- Oversees hiring, scheduling, and time sheets of seed production staff.
- Develops and implements seed production processes to become ISO certified by working with the Canadian Seed Institute to implement step by step quality improvement production processes.
- Develops and implements an AAT Seed quality assurance program as a result of ISO certification, and identifies potential marketable benefits that could be used by sales to attract more business.
- Budgets for and buys all seed plant supplies, bags, tags, treatment, etc.
- Handles product inquireies to satisfaction of grower/customer and AAT.
- Reconciles TUA’s to seed sales for TSA payments to Monsanto
- Creates a pride of responsibility in his or her employees
- Communicates straightforwardly with clarity of why
- Acts with integrity in all interactions to build long term trust
- Owns up to mistakes and makes correcting change
- Has clear vision of the goal and works toward it
- Searches for opportunities to continuously improve